How to Calculate Wallpaper
Are you ready to Wallpaper?
Let’s determine how many
standard rolls you require for your wallpapering project. We have developed a
method to assist you in working out your requirements. When doing your
calculation you can work in metric or imperial, just be consistent with the
unit of measurement you choose
Though we have made every effort to provide you with an
accurate calculation, there are several factors that make this calculation only
- Windows, doors and other spaces that will not be wallpapered
must be taken into consideration; we have not included the subtraction of these
to make sure you have
enough to cover the wall space.
- Everyone has their own ideas to making their
space unique; if you want to center the pattern within the determined wall
space or install it horizontally, we encourage the creativity, just be aware it
will affect the overall amount of wallpaper needed. Please consult with your
designer or installer before purchasing your wallpaper to ensure you have the
Time to Calculate!
Digital Method: Wallpaper Measurement Guide
How To Calculate The Amount of Rolls Required Using the Walls Republic Digital Calculator
Walls Republic has designed an easy to use wallpaper calculator just for you to help determine how many rolls of wallpaper your project requires. The wallpaper calculator can be found on each product page and is specific to each unique pattern taking into account the individualized pattern match. Be sure you are on the correct product before you begin your calculation in order to get accurate results.
1. Begin by measuring the length and height of each wall intended for wallpapering.
2. Then simply select your unit of measurement from the drop down menu and ensure you have been consistent with your unit of measurement throughout the measurements of your wall
3. Next input the height of the wall(s)
4. And next the length of each wall intended for wallpapering
5. Finally click ESTIMATE and you will be give an approximate number of double rolls required for your project.
*While the wallpaper calculator provides a fairly accurate calculation on how many rolls of wallpaper you need, please note that this is an approximation only. You should always consult your decorator before ordering wallpaper and as a result we cannot be held responsible for any wrongly ordered wallpaper from using this calculator.*
Traditional Method: Step-by-Step Wallpaper Measurement Guide
Calculating the amount of rolls required by hand.
- Start by measuring the length
of each wall intended for wallpapering and add them together to determine
Wall 1 Length:
+ Wall 2 Length:
- Now we need to determine how many “DROPS” or strips we need
to cover the TOTAL LENGTH. Divide the
TOTAL LENGTH by the
width of the wallpaper roll ( e.g. 20.8”) to determine how many individual strips
or “DROPS” will be required to cover the intended space.
TOTAL LENGTH: / Width of Wallpaper: 20.8” = Total number of
( Be sure to
round this number UP to the nearest full DROP )
- We must now determine the TOTAL
HEIGHT of each DROP.
calculate Effective TOTAL HEIGHT you will need to measure the physical height of your wall, add 3” for cutting
wastage, and you need to add the pattern repeat of your wallpaper pattern.(Each
wallpaper pattern has its own repeat and will be listed under its
+ Cutting Wastage: 3”
+ Pattern Repeat:
= TOTAL HEIGHT
- At this stage, we know how many DROPS are needed for the
wall space, and we know the
TOTAL HEIGHT of each drop. Now we need to determine
how many Linear Yards (or meters) of Wallpaper this translates into.
- Multiply the TOTAL HEIGHT of the space by the number of DROPS
required, this will determine the total LINEAR YARDS (or meters) of wallpaper needed
TOTAL HEIGHT: x
Linear Yards (or meters)
- The last step is to determine how many ROLLS are required,
based on your Total Linear Yards (or
Divide the Total Linear Yards (or meters) by the length of the wallpaper
roll ( e.g. 32.97”) and you have the total number of double rolls required for
the intended space! Total Linear Yards (or meters) Length of Wallpaper
32.97’ = Number of
ROLLS ( Remember to round UP to the nearest full roll, you can only
purchase product by the full double roll. )
length / width of roll (20.8”) = # of drops
# of drops x
total height = linear yards of material required
Linear yard /
length of roll (32.97’) = total number of rolls